Sunday 18 March 2012

reflecting on the balconey

It’s not hard to write sitting on a balcony looking out at Hardy Bay. Even the rain falling persistently doesn’t detract from the morning. There is a gentleness, a peace, a rest, a joy in being able to begin a day just like this – sipping tea on the balcony looking at the water.

I was involved in a Leadership Intensive last year and one of the things we talked about was having balcony moments. It didn’t mean actual, real balconies, of course (although I feel that real balcony moments are just as important!) What they meant was to take time to step back from our life and get a clearer look at it from a different perspective. To be able to withdraw and have time to think and reflect.

As I sit here this morning letting my mind wander, the past week takes on a different perspective. It has been easy to see the blessings! My mind replayed Period 6 with Year 7/8 Explorers yesterday afternoon. It was very chaotic and everyone was doing something different and my head was spinning from trying to answer a multitude of different questions at the same time – is girragundji a frog in the aboriginal language; what’s a simile; can I draw the map on coloured paper; can we make up a drama instead of a dance? Yes, it was chaotic. But as I reflect it brings a smile to my face – a room full of students all busily enjoying working (yes, English IS fun!). What I remember most is the smile on one students face as I explained what a simile was and he got it.

Why write all this? The balcony moment this morning is bringing into perspective all the little moments from the week, and instead of feeling exhausted from the week I can see a purpose, a reason for what I do.

I can’t travel to the Central Coast every weekend. There won’t be a real balcony or a real bay every Saturday. However, right here and now I am deciding that every Saturday morning from now on will be a time to stop and reflect on the week past in a different way. Saturday mornings will be a time to look for those Ah Ha! Moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment